On Tuesday 11 September 2018 BGC Partners will hold its 14th Annual Charity
Day to commemorate the colleagues lost in the World Trade Centre attacks.
Since 2004, we have supported hundreds of charities and we are proud to
have raised $147 million globally. Our Charity Day each year is a much
anticipated event for all employees and partners of BGC. We again hope to build
on the success of previous years and continue to make a real difference to many
people’s lives on a day that pays respect to those we have lost.
We would be delighted for you to apply to be one of our 2018 charities, but
before you do so please take some time to look at our Charity Day website
where previous years’videos and photos are displayed (links below).
BGC Charity Day has evolved into an exciting, uplifting day! Celebrity attendance
is extremely helpful as it substantially adds to the spirit of the day and ultimately
drives the business. High profile personalities can raise significant sums by trading
with our clients, raising millions of dollars for our charities around the world. It
also gives the clients, charities’ beneficiaries and staff great pleasure to meet the many famous faces present.
We do hope these links give you a good insight into Charity Day:
Your application should be completed and returned to us by Thursday 19 April 2018.
2017 BGC Charity Day Ambassadors Included:
Dame Kelly Holmes
Mayor of London, Sadiq Kahn
Sarah, Dutchess of York
Sir Alex Ferguson
Sophie, Countess of Wessex
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Who is BGC Partners?BGC Partners is a pioneering global brokerage company serving the financial services and real estate markets delivering world-class products to our diverse customer base on a daily basis. Our Financial Services business provides a full range of trade execution and broker-dealer services.
What is Charity Day?Charity Day is held every year on 11 September, or the closest working day to it, in memory of the 658 colleagues lost in the World Trade Centre attacks in 2001. It is a day on which we commemorate those no longer with us by raising funds for charitable works worldwide.
How do we raise money?All BGC revenues worldwide on Charity Day, together with those of our sister companies GFI, Mint, RP Martin and Sunrise Brokers are donated to selected charities, as are all broker commissions for the day. We are delighted that GFI are now proudly holding their 3 rd Charity Day at their offices in the City of London hand in hand with BGC Partners in Canary Wharf.
How does the day work in the UK?The UK Charity Day takes place at the BGC London office in Canary Wharf and the GFI London office in the City with celebrity ambassadors visiting the trading floor and meeting the 1,000 brokers working there. Charity Day runs from 08.00-17.00 and each charity is given an allocated time to visit. Celebrity ambassadors that attend on behalf of the charities are invited to take part in trades by speaking to clients over the phone.
What is expected of the celebrity ambassadors?We request that each celebrity ambassador:
– spends 1-2 hours with us
– speaks on the phone with clients and takes part in trades (guided every step of the way by our brokers)
– takes part in interviews with selected media present on the day (if they are happy to do so)
– takes part in internal interviews (please see our Charity Day videos for examples)
– uses their own social media platforms to promote the Charity they are supporting as well as the BGC Charity Day in the run up to and on the day itself by tweeting, re-tweeting, following and sharing etc.
What about the non-celebrity attendees?The BGC Charity Day is a fun day. In addition to your celebrity representatives you are welcome to bring along a small group (of no more than three people) from your charity. We also encourage charities with young beneficiaries to invite 2-3 families to join us for an action packed day. We request each charity to attend on the day for approximately 2-3 hours.
How are the donations calculated?The Charity Day donations are allocated by BGC’s senior management. Many factors are taken into account from the annual revenue of the charity to the way in which the charity and their celebrity ambassadors engage with the day. It is BGC’s aim to distribute the Charity Day donations within 12 months of each Charity Day by way of either cash or stock transfer.
- Cheryl Cole Paddington Bear
Your application should be no more than 2 to 3 pages long, however feel free to attach any back-up information and images should you wish.
Please ensure that all of the following information is included when submitting your Charity Day application.
• Name of charity and registered charity number in the UK
• Charity representative contact details (name, telephone number & email address)
• Head office address and website address
• Mission statement / nature of charity’s work
• Your most recent annual income from donations
• Details of any statutory / government funding
• Breakdown of income spend as follows:
– % of charitable spend
– % of fundraising
– % of other costs
• Please feel free to include any additional (brief) notes to support the above
• Details of specif ic projects the char ity is looking to deliv er in 2018 / 2019 and the funds required
• Names of celebrity patrons / ambassador s who have confirmed that they would support your charity on the day if your application is successful
• Please include any supporting communications you may have received from your ambassadors as this may enhance your application
• A prospect list of other celebrity patrons / ambassadors with whom you have a current relationship and who would be a potential ambassador if you were successful
• Confirmation that the charity will accept payment by stock or cash
Charity Day application submission
Please email your application to the Charity Day team at:
Thursday 19 April 2018
London office address
One Churchill Place