On Friday 11 September 2020 BGC Partners will hold its 16th Annual Charity
Day to commemorate the colleagues lost in the World Trade Centre attacks.
Since 2004, we have supported hundreds of charities and we are proud to have
raised almost $159 million globally. Our Charity Day each year is a much
anticipated event for all employees and partners of BGC. We again hope to
build on the success of previous years and continue to make a real difference to
many people’s lives on a day that pays respect to those we have lost.
We would be delighted for you to apply to be one of our 2020 charities, but
before you do so please take some time to look at our Charity Day website
where previous years’videos and photos are displayed (links below).
BGC Charity Day has evolved into an exciting, uplifting day! Celebrity attendance
is extremely helpful as it substantially adds to the spirit of the day and ultimately
drives the business. High profile personalities can raise significant sums by trading
with our clients, raising millions of dollars for our charities around the world. It
also gives the clients, charities’ beneficiaries and staff great pleasure to meet the many famous faces present.
We do hope these links give you a good insight into Charity Day:
Your application should be completed and returned to us by Thursday 26 March 2020.
BGC Charity Day 2019 Ambassadors Included:
Damian Lewis OBE
Major Timothy Peak CMG
Prince Harry, The Duke of Sussex
Sadiq Khan, The Mayor of London
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Who is BGC Partners?BGC Partners is a pioneering global brokerage and financial technology company delivering world-class products to our diverse customer base on a daily basis. Our Financial Services business provides a full range of trade execution and broker-dealer services.
What is Charity Day?Charity Day is held every year on 11 September, or the closest working day to it, in memory of the 658 colleagues lost in the World Trade Centre attacks in 2001. It is a day on which we commemorate those no longer with us by raising funds for charitable works worldwide.
How do we raise money?All BGC revenues worldwide on Charity Day, together with our affiliates GFI, RP Martin and Sunrise Brokers, are donated to selected charities, as are all broker commissions for the day.
How does the day work in the UK?On Charity Day celebrity ambassadors join us on behalf of charities, helping to bring energy and excitement to the day. They visit the trading floors to meet with the 1,000 brokers and are invited to take part in real trades with clients over the phone, guided at all times by a BGC broker. Charity Day runs from 08.00-16.00, during which each charity is given an allocated time to visit.
What is expected of the celebrity ambassadors?We would hope that each selected charity bring between 2 – 3 celebrity ambassadors on the day. We request that each celebrity ambassador:
- spends 1- 2 hours with us
- speaks on the phone with clients and takes part in trades (guided every step of the way by our brokers)
- takes part in interviews with selected media present on the day (if they are happy to do so)
- takes part in internal interviews (please see our Charity Day videos for examples)
- uses their own social media platforms to promote the Charity they are supporting as well as BGC Charity Day in the run up to and on the day itself by posting, re-posting, following and sharing etc.
What about the non-celebrity attendees?The BGC Charity Day is a fun day. In addition to your celebrity representatives you are welcome to bring along a small group (of no more than three people) from your charity. We also encourage charities with young beneficiaries to invite 2-3 families to join us for an action packed day. We request each charity to attend on the day for approximately 2-3 hours.
How are the donations calculated?The Charity Day donations are allocated by BGC’s senior management. Many factors are taken into account from the annual revenue of the charity to the way in which the charity and their celebrity ambassadors engage with the day. It is BGC’s aim to distribute the Charity Day donations within 12 months of each Charity Day by way of either cash or stock transfer.
Your application should be no more than 2 to 3 pages long, however feel free to attach any back-up information and images should you wish.
Please ensure that all of the following information is included when submitting your Charity Day application.
• Name of charity and registered charity number in the UK
• Charity representative contact details (name, telephone number & email address)
• Head office address and website address
• Mission statement / nature of charity’s work
• Your most recent annual income from donations
• Details of any statutory / government funding
• Breakdown of income spend as follows:
– % of charitable spend
– % of fundraising
– % of other costs
• Please feel free to include any additional (brief) notes to support the above
• Details of specific projects the charity is looking to deliver in 2020 / 2021 and the funds required
• Names of celebrity patrons / ambassadors who have confirmed that they would support your charity on the day if your application is successful
• Please include any supporting communications you may have received from your ambassadors as this may enhance your application
• A prospect list of other celebrity patrons / ambassadors with whom you have a current relationship and who would be a potential ambassador if you were successful
• Confirmation that the charity will accept payment by stock or cash
Charity Day application submission Please email your application to the Charity Day team at:
Application deadline Thursday 26 March 2020
London office address BGC Partners
5 Churchill Place